Spring Toxins For Your Pet

Everyone looks forward to Spring, including our pets.  It’s that time of year when curiosity can get the better of cats and dogs after being inside for so long.  As we celebrate Easter and take life outside, it’s best to be mindful of the potential hazards for our pets.

Gardening and Spring Cleaning can expose our pets to toxins.  Fertilizers such as blood meal, iron, and rose & plant, pose a risk if our pets ingest them.  And always be aware of where your pet is when using pesticides and insecticides.  Remember that buckets of cleaning product can look a lot like a water bowl and the smell of them is not necessarily unpleasant to our pets.

Whether inside or outside, plants that can be hazardous include: Lilies, Tulip Bulbs, Hyacinth, Daffodil, Crocus, and Lily-of-the-Valley.

Easter is a holiday where we need to be especially aware of our pets and remember to “child-proof” for their safety.  Potential hazards include: Decorative Easter “Grass”, Chocolate, Easter Lilies, Xylitol (sweetener commonly found in candies)  For more information visit: Pet Poison Helpline  or Animal Posion Control

Watch for signs of vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and any other abnormal behaviour.  Ingesting a toxin can lead to liver and/or kidney failure, pancreatitis, internal bleeding, and gastrointestinal upset.  If you fear your pet may have ingested a toxin, please call Guelph Animal Hospital right away to see your veterinarian 519-836-2782 or call the ASPCA Poison Control Helpline (888) 426-4435.  

Kimberley Janes, CCS


Leave a Reply